Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Monday

DD2 had off school, so DD2 and I hung out together. She really wanted to go to a bouncy place, so we went to one near the hospital, where I had a 2:15 appointment with my breast surgeon.
I told him I wanted a CT scan, cuz I'm still freaked out by my online friend who had triple negative cancer stage 1 like me and started chemo last March like me, and they found new cancer in her nodes last month.
So he did an ultrasound on both sides and didn't see anything, so he scheduled another mammogram for June. But! Here's the lesson, folks. Knowledge is power, so while I was waiting for the Dr. to come in the room, I read my chart. When the nurse came in, she saw I was reading my chart, so she handed me a copy of the radiologist's report after my mammogram in December. In the report, the radiologist said that he recommended Breast Specific Gamma Imaging in addition to a m'gram, because I have really dense breast tissue. So, while they were writing up the orders, I said, "Can I have a BSGI as well?" And they added that to the orders.
If I hadn't read the report, I wouldn't have known to ask for that, and it didn't look like the doctor's office would have done it on their own accord. BSGI is good because "[it] is a nuclear medicine procedure that images the metabolic activity of breast lesions through radiotracer uptake.... This technique can help doctors more reliably differentiate cancerous from non-cancerous cells. While ... MRI and Ultrasound image the physical structure of the breast, BSGI captures the cellular functioning of the breast tissue." All that to say BSGI has a smaller failure rate (or whatever) than mammograms. Less than 2%, the nurse said, So! Yay!
Lesson: ask for a copy of your medical records. You may not understand all the words, but it'll give you more information.

1 comment:

bookreader said...

Having worked with medical records while in the insurance industry, I can attest that you are correct- you may not understand every word, but you will have more information if you read them thoroughly and you can probably figure out the "unknowns" in context. ALWAYS best to be your own advoacte in the medical arena and even ask for complete copies of your records to review and keep in your own file at home. You just never know... no one else cares about your health like you do! Go Girl!