Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ike, Ike Baby

We are fine. There was no school or work on Friday, and I spent the morning buying some last minute necessities, and the rest of the day catching up on laundry and dishes. In the evening, I filled ziploc bags with water and put them in the freezer, to keep the stuff cold once the power went out. Which it did about 1 a.m. We had cleared DH's closet floor, and my closet floor, and put sofa cushions down. So we slept in there that night. We got high winds and rain.
We walked around the neighborhood Saturday afternoon, and there are some downed fences and uprooted trees and missing shingles, but nothing major.
The biggest inconvenience was the lack of A/C. I got so hot last night, I went into the van for a while to cool off.
I went to church this morning. We had a 9:30 service in the Worship Center with acoustic guitar and candlelight. The 11:00 service we had in the foyer, which had lots of natural lights. The church's generator provided A/C for us.
Drove around a bit afterward -- some listing street signs, hanging street lights, and so on.
Came home and cooked up some rapidly defrosting hamburger meat. The power came back on at 1 p.m.
We are praising God for His protection.

1 comment:

amycrossfr said...

I'm glad to have news. I am in Germany right now and it's weird not to be able to know what's going on with people you love. Glad you wrote. When you mentioned going to church, I"m assuming it wasn't CFBC, right? You all go to a church closer to home now. . .