Monday, March 19, 2007

Part of the Fun

Part of the fun of Chemo Land, I am given to understand, are the side effects, or SE as those of us in the know call them. Now, SE are, apparently, neither as negligible as depicted in soap operas, nor as virulent as depicted in a Movie of the Week.
If one takes one's meds, hurling is a thing of the past.
Our bright new selection of SE, however, can include:
mouth sores
diarrhea
constipation
heartburn
bone pain
menopause
fingernails falling off (I know, ew)
fuzzy-mindedness (AKA "chemo brain")

There's not a lot I can do about the latter three, but to counteract the first 5, there is a panoply of OTC drugs. And! CVS had a coupon in the Sunday paper for $3 off if you spent $15. So, I asked several of my neighbors for their coupons, and am going to be making several trips to CVS in the next few days, spending $15 ($12) each time. They don't know me by name yet, but I bet they will....

1 comment:

Kay said...

Hi Terri
I am a friend of your Mom and Dad's here in Wichita. I just read your "part of the fun" I was a nurse for 20+ years and worked with children with cancer. Those SE's are not fun, but you won't get ALL of them. Most of the kids got the mouth sores and they will get better as counts get better. Don't let them worry you too much and from what your folks have told me about you and what I read on your blog, you are going to come through this just fine. You have a great attitude and that goes a long way. You are obviously filled with God's Grace. May God continue to bless you and your family. My prayers are certainly going up for you.