Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Going Back to College!

My beloved oldest niece is in her first year of college, and is struggling in this one class. So I have been helping her in her construction of a paper. Not writing it for her, I hasten to assure you, but giving her things to think about so she can write it herself. I asked her for a copy of the actual assignment, and here it is:

The personal ethnography paper will require you to identify and analyze how your cultural identity is influenced by gender class and or race. By the end of this assignment you should be able to: demonstrate awareness of how people are positioned as members of particular cultures. Identify how identity is influenced by the structures of gender, class and race. Narrate a specific experience that is relevant in illustrating cultural identity. Use descriptive strategies to vividly create impressions for the reader. Analyze implications of social systems in your life, particularly as revealed in your experience
.

I am considered relatively intelligent by some of my acquaintance, but i have to tell you, my response to some of the above was "wha...."?

No comments: