Friday, November 9, 2007

Greetings From Brooklyn!

Well, I made my flight yesterday, despite staying up late doing laundry the night b4, and getting up early to make devilled eggs for the teachers' luncheon at DD2's school. ( i KNOW, but i volunteered back in August b4 i knew i was taking this trip.) We walked DD2 into school, DH and DD1 carrying the devilled eggs, DD2 carrying her backpack, and food for the charity drive, and me carrying the snacks, as DD2 was Snack Lady yesterday -- bananas and those little cheese and crackers things. Went home, got DD1 on the bus, finished packing, kissed DH, and then went to Kohl's to get the sensor taken off the pants i'd bought last week for the trip (all my other pants aren't fitting yet), and then went to THREE differenct ATMs before I found one that would take my card.
Zoomed to the airport, parked at the Park and Ride, and got to the airport an hour b4 my flight, checked in, walked the 2 million mies to security, stood in line and then took off shoes, belt, jewelry and all my carryon bags for security, got dressed again, walked another million miles, got a pretzel and some marinara sauce, got to the gate just as they were boarding. got settled in my supposed seat, and opened my marinara sauce so i could enjoy my pretzel, only to find that the guy n front of me was in my actual seat, so i had to gather up my purse, my carryon, my pretzels and open marinara sauce and my bottle of water and move one row up. needless to say, the marinara sauce got all over me.
and the guy sitting next to me liked to use both of his armrests and extend his elbows beyond them, so i spent most of the flight hunched away from his elbow. i slept a bit, but was awakened by "lunch": a cup of iceburg lettuce, and The Worst Pizza Ever. I took one bite, and that was it.
i tried chatting to Elbow Man:
me: so, do you live in Houston or New York?
EM: Houston.
me: are you going for fun?
EM: a seminar.

given the fact that he was not making eye contact, i decided he was not interested in chatting with me. the guy in the aisle seat seemed nice, but i knew EM would not want us talkng over him, so i gave up, and read my bible and eavesdropped on the three sisters sitting behind me who had a lot to say.
i arrived in la guardia, and stopped to buy a pair of sunglasses, as i'd left all three of my Walgreen's sunglasses at home, and Amy was right there to greet me. We picked up my suitcase, and got a cab to her apartment. Taxi driver was a bit bemused at my request to take his picture, but he complied readily.
Amy and I chatted for a while, and then went to a nearby restaurant that served homemade fries with curry mayo. oh. my. goodness. they were good! i had a vegetable pave as well, but those fries were awesome! we came home, chated some more, watched "Grey's Anatomy", and then went to bed as i was really tired.
today we plan to get tickets for a show, see the Statue, and who knows what else.

1 comment:

bookreader said...

Glad you made it to NYC okay. Take lots of pics. Will make a nice scrap book, I am sure. Enjoy your trip!