Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Fun of Medical Billing

One thing to look forward to when one has any type of medical procedure is the ensuing medical bills.
When I gave birth in 2000 to an 8 lb baby, and in 2001 to a 10 lb baby, the charge each time was $3,500, of which I had to pay about 10%.
When the fine medical staff at North Cypress removed the 2 centimeter cancerous tumor from my breast in February, the charge from the hospital alone was $14,ooo.
Now I'm getting bills from this pathology lab, and that pathology lab, and this doctor and that. I got a bill from two separate pathology labs, both were for service on 2/12/07, both said "Surg Path, Level V 2 Specimen". I figured this was a mistake. Both labs use the same billing service, so I called to inquire. And what did the lady say?
"Oh, one bill is for performing the test, and the other is for interpreting it."
Oh. Silly me.

1 comment:

fredandmarilyn said...

We are Fred and Marilyn Cooper. Fred is your dad's cousin--one of the Granby Cooper's. Your folks shared your blog address with us over the weekend. We will read your posts frequently. We will be praying for you and will ask that you be placed on our church's prayer list.