Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What Is a PET Scan, Anyway?

It stands for Positron Emissions Testing.

A PET scan involves the acquisition of images based on the detection of radiation from the emission of positrons. Positrons are tiny particles emitted from a radioactive substance administered to the patient.
PET scans are used to detect cancer and to examine the effects of cancer therapy by characterizing biochemical changes in the cancer.


I'll be injected with a small amount of radioactive material. Then I'll have to lie still (!) for about 45 minutes to allow the radioactive stuff to go where it's going to go. Then I'll go into this machine which will take pictures of my torso for another 45 minutes or so. I just hope I can listen to my Ipod or read a book or sing or something to entertain myself....

No comments: